Friday, June 7, 2013

Dear Grandma

Author: Sara Goldrick-Rab, her oldest granddaughter
Written: June 6, 2013 and read at the funeral


Dear Grandma,

Don't worry, I'll keep it short, use plain English, and just say it once.

I enjoyed you so much for the last 36 years. It's thanks to you that I know how to thrift shop, bake moist brownies and the cheesiest lasagna, know how to appreciate the flaky crust of a sour cherry strudel and a proper English tea, feel appropriately guilty when having too many cocktails or paying full price, and always make sure I'm wearing sensible shoes.

Even more importantly, you are the woman who very directly informed me that having it all-- a full-time career and full-time motherhood--required hiring good help and getting some perspective. You allowed me time to realize you were right, and didn't lord it over me when I finally did.

But incredibly, you also set the mark for my effort to do work that matters, that reaches regular people, and that merits mention in the New York Times.  Whenever I have achieved something of note, one of my very first thoughts has been of the pride I know you'll take in it.

You bought out the newsstand when I appeared on the cover of the Times, you told me that goats nursed babies too when my breasts ached from nursing your great-grandkids, you walked me down the aisle at my wedding and made sure I knew the guy I was marrying was a gem, you never missed singing to me on my birthday even when it was to my voicemail, and you loved me and loved me and always with such respect.

I will never, ever get over you Grandma. Dorothy Parker said she'd never gotten one perfect rose. I got one perfect Grandma.

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment